Friday, August 30, 2013

Finished the Scrappy Lone Star Quilt for Gran!

So, I finished the quilt for Gran, yay!  Here it is ...

Final measurements - 42" x 60".

The piercing didn't take long.  The quilting took me a while and I made a couple of mistakes but they aren't majorly noticeable.  I am pretty happy with how it turned out.

And Gran thought it was lovely, so that made me super happy. :)

Progress during process is blogged here and I used this tutorial to make the star.

Scrappy Lone Star Quilt for Gran - progress

So, I got started on the quilt for Gran using this scrappy lone star tutorial.  It provided excellent directions and was easy to follow.

Again, the fabric is from the Habitat design (Benartex)

So, it started with a few strips ...

which were then sewed together into one of the star points

and then all placed out on the table to look a bit like this.

and somehow it was put together to look a little like this.Yes, I can see a star!

Finished quilt top

So, this is the second quilt I have ever made and I decided to try quilting it myself.  For 2 reasons (1) the long arm quilter from my local quilting shop is no longer available and I didn't know where to find anyone to quilt it for me and (2) my friend Cath convinced me that I should give it a go myself.

So, I decided to stitch in the ditch for the star and then to straight double lines for the rest of the fabric.  So, lots of lines to mark out and lots of pins.  I now see why quilters using basting spray and safety pins!  I pricked myself heaps.